Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Today’s Word: Persona


Linus stared at Old Horner. For the briefest of moments, Horner thought his younger self might reach for the scream gun, but the moment passed, and Linus didn't move.

"You're my outcome," said Linus.

"Yes."

"What do you want?"

"I must stop you."

"I've been dreaming about this machine for twenty-seven years. Every moment of my adult life I've spent searching for it, knowing that one day time would bring me close enough to grasp it, and you want to stop me?"

"I must," said Horner. He didn't think he could stop Linus, not physically. But like his younger self, he refused to believe time had brought him here to no avail.

Linus turned towards the machine.

"How did you travel back to this time?"

"I don't know. I or someone else, flushed my memory about thirty-five years ago. I had a persona, a wife, kids. I didn't know anything was amiss until you were born. That's when the flashes began. The –"

"Dreams."

"Yes, the dreams."


To be continued

No comments: